Title : HYPERSONIC TECHNOLOGY
Date : Dec 07, 2021
Topic à Scientific Interventions related issues
- China's pursuit of hypersonic weapons "increases tensions in the region," according to the US, which pledged to maintain its capability to repel any Chinese threats.
- What exactly is the problem:
- The United States is concerned about China's expanding military might and its desire to eliminate American supremacy in Asia.
- The July test of a hypersonic missile capable of partially circling the Earth before reentering the atmosphere and gliding on a customizable path to its target underlined China's ambitions to expedite its military capabilities.
- Although China claimed it was testing a reusable space vehicle, not a missile, experts say the weapons system is plainly meant to evade US missile defences.
- What does it mean for a weapon to travel at hypersonic speeds:
- Hypersonic speeds are those that are 5 or more times faster than the speed of sound.
- current events
- Concerns and consequences for India and the rest of the world:
- In theory, the weapon could fly over the South Pole. Because the US military's missile defence systems are aimed at the northern polar route, this would be a major issue.
- Given the prior history of relations with China, India is particularly concerned about recent developments.
- Such capabilities emphasise the danger that our space assets, as well as our surface assets, face.
- The following technology has been used by China:
- According to media reports, the exact technology used by China in this particular test is unknown. However, scramjet technology is used by the majority of hypersonic vehicles.
- What is scramjet technology, and how does it work:
- Scramjets are a type of engine that can handle airflows at speeds that are multiples of the sound speed.
- Air from the atmosphere is forced into the combustion chamber of an air-breathing scramjet engine at a supersonic speed of more than Mach two.
- The air mixes with the fuel in the chamber to start a supersonic combustion, yet the cruiser will travel at a hypersonic speed of Mach six to seven.
- Scramjet stands for supersonic combustion ramjet.
- Source à The Hindu à 06/12/21 à Page Number 15
Tags : Mach, ramjet