Title : THE COMMISSION FOR AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT
Date : Dec 09, 2021
Topic à Environmental Conservation related issues
- The Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) is an organisation dedicated to improving air quality.
- In October 2020, the Commission was established by ordinance for the first time.
- To make space for the Commission, the former Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority, or EPCA, was dissolved.
- The Commission will function as a statutory body.
- The Commission will take the place of bodies like the Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan pollution control boards.
- Chairperson: A government official with the level of Secretary or Chief Secretary will preside over the meeting.
- The chairperson will serve for three years or until he or she reaches the age of 70.
- It will include representatives from a variety of ministries as well as stakeholder states.
- Experts from the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), and civil society will participate.
- It will have the authority to issue directives to these state governments on air pollution issues.
- It will hear as many complaints as it thinks necessary in order to safeguard and improve the air quality in the NCR and surrounding areas.
- It will also establish air pollution control guidelines.
- It will also be responsible for detecting violators, monitoring companies and industries, as well as any other polluting unit in the region, and having the authority to shut them down.
- It will also have the authority to overturn instructions issued by regional state administrations that may violate pollution standards.
- Other important elements of the bill include:
- The act of stubble burning has been decriminalised, and the section that might lead to jail time has been removed.
- It proposed that anyone who are discovered to be participating in stubble burning, including farmers, pay an environmental restitution cost.
- Source à The Hindu à 08/12/21 à Page Number 3
Tags : air pollution, environmental cost