Title : SMART CITIES MISSION
Date : Dec 17, 2021
Based on a News Article published in the ‘The Hindu’ on 15th December 2021 on Page Number 15
Useful for UPSC CSE Prelims and Mains (GS Paper II)
- The Hon' Prime Minister launched the Smart Cities Mission on June 25, 2015.
Goals of the SCM Mission:
- The Mission's major goal is to support communities that use "smart solutions" to offer fundamental infrastructure, a clean and sustainable environment, and a decent quality of life for their residents.
- Through comprehensive work on the city's social, economic, physical, and institutional foundations, the Mission aspires to generate economic growth and improve quality of life.
- The emphasis is on long-term, inclusive development through the creation of replicable models that serve as beacons for other aspiring cities.
- Through a two-stage competition, 100 cities were chosen to be developed as Smart Cities.
Smart city initiatives include a number of initiatives:
- Urban Pandemic Prepareness And Response In India (COVID-19):
- The Smart Cities Mission (SCM) is actively assisting COVID 19 management with swift reaction.
- The mission's Integrated Command and Control Centers (ICCC) have been transformed into war rooms for real-time surveillance and effective pandemic control using technology in several Smart Cities, including Bangalore, Pune, Agra, and Vadodara, to mention a few.
- In order to combat COVID 19, the mission gathered best practises from Smart Cities throughout the world.
- Framework for Capacity Building on the National Urban Learning Platform (NULP):
- The National Urban Learning Platform is a multi-channel, content-neutral platform that can be used to produce and deliver capacity in a 360-degree approach.
- The CITIIS (Cities Investments to Innovate, Integrate, and Sustain) Challenge was launched in collaboration with the Agence Française de Développement (AFD) and the European Union to provide a loan of EUR 100 million for the implementation of up to 15 innovative projects in four sectors: sustainable mobility, public open spaces, urban governance and ICT, and social and organisational innovation in low-income settlements.
- Cities that are Climate Smart:
- In order to encourage a holistic, climate-responsive development, the Climate SMART Cities Assessment Framework was established for the 100 Smart Cities.
- This is a first-of-its-kind city assessment framework aimed at instilling a green mindset in cities as they plan and implement various development projects.
Related Schemes for Urban Development:
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi launched the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation in June 2015, with the goal of establishing infrastructure that could ensure adequate, robust sewage networks and water supply for urban transformation through the implementation of urban revival projects.
- The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a government of India project to offer cheap housing to the urban poor, with a goal of creating 2 crore affordable dwellings by March 31, 2022.
Tags : Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation