Title : LABOUR CODES
Date : Dec 20, 2021
Topic à Government Policies & Interventions
- What are the Labour Codes:
- Wage Code, Social Security Code, Occupational Safety, Health, and Working Conditions Code, and Industrial Relations Code are among the 44 labour laws consolidated in the new set of rules.
- All four Codes have previously been ratified by Parliament, and the President has given his approval.
- The four codes are as follows:
- The Wages Code of 2019, which applies to all employees in the organised and unorganised sectors, aims to govern salary and bonus payments in all occupations and to provide comparable recompense to employees performing equivalent labour in any industry, trade, business, or manufacture.
- The 2020 Code on Occupational Safety, Health, and Working Conditions aims to regulate the health and safety of workers in establishments with ten or more employees, as well as in all mines and docks.
- The Social Security Code of 2020 unifies nine statutes concerning social security and maternity benefits.
- The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947, the Trade Unions Act, 1926, and the Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1946 are all consolidated in the Code on Industrial Relations, 2020. The Code intends to improve the country's business environment by minimising the burden of labour compliance on businesses.
- Problems with these codes include:
- Regular workers do not have the ability to set work hours beyond eight hours per day because of the work hours provisions.
- Part-time employees are likewise not covered by the codes' uniform provisions.
- There are provisions that affect employee wages as well.
- Fines for non-compliance with provisions, second offences, and officer-in-default are also spelled out in the labour codes. In the current pandemic, the majority of small firms are unable to accept and implement changes to the labour legislation.
- Source à The Hindu à 17/12/21 à Page Number 1
Tags : Wage Code, Social Security Code, Occupational Safety, Health, and Working Conditions Code, and Industrial Relations Code