Prepare IAS Coaching
Title : THE INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY
Date : Dec 20, 2021
Topic à International Organizations
- IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency):
- Within the United Nations family, it was founded in 1957 as the world's "Atoms for Peace" organisation.
- Both the General Assembly and the Security Council of the United Nations receive reports.
- The organization’s headquarters are in Vienna, Austria.
- Promotes the safe, secure, and peaceful use of nuclear technologies with its Member States and diverse partners throughout the world.
- Attempts to encourage the peaceful use of nuclear energy while prohibiting its use for military purposes, including the development of nuclear weapons.
- The General Conference (11 members every year) elects 22 member nations (who must reflect a specified geographic variety) for a two-year tenure.
- The outgoing Board has proposed at least ten member states.
- Each board member has one vote.
- Recommendations to the General Conference on the operations and budget of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- IAEA standards are published by this organisation.
- The majority of the IAEA's policies are made by them.
- Subject to the permission of the General Conference, appoints the Director General.
- Action Plan for Cancer Treatment (PACT)
- The Human Health Program is a government-funded initiative
- Project to Increase Water Availability
- In the year 2000, the International Project on Innovative Nuclear Reactors and Fuel Cycles was launched.
- Source à The Hindu à 17/12/21 à Page Number 11
Tags : Nuclear Reactors and Fuel Cycles