Prepare IAS Coaching
Title : PANNA BIOSPHERE RESERVE: Prelims Specific Topic
Date : Dec 22, 2021
- PBR was founded in 1981 and is located in the Madhya Pradesh districts of Panna and Chhatarpur, covering an area of approximately 540 km2.
- It is located in the Vindhya mountain range in Madhya Pradesh's northern region.
- The Ken River (one of the Yamuna River's least polluted tributaries) runs through the reserve, and the Ken-Betwa river interlinking project will be built there as well.
- Panna diamond mining is also well-known in the area.
- Recognition and Conservation:
- Panna National Park, India's 22nd tiger reserve, was designated as a Project Tiger Reserve in 1994.
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change declared it a Biosphere Reserve in 2011. (MoEFCC).
- 2018: By the year 2018, the tiger population has increased dramatically from a decade previously, when it was predicted to be nil.
- The state with the most tigers is Madhya Pradesh, followed by Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
- It was included in the Man and Biosphere Programme by UNESCO in 2020. (MAB).
- Source à The Hindu à 20/12/21 à Page Number 5
Tags : Man and Biosphere Programme, UNESCO