Title : THE INDIAN COUNCIL OF MEDICAL RESEARCH
Date : Dec 27, 2021
Topic à Statutory and Non-Statutory Bodies
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) is India's highest body for biomedical research design, coordination, and promotion.
- Its mission is to undertake, coordinate, and implement medical research for the benefit of the Society, as well as to translate medical advances into goods and processes that may be used in the public health system.
- It is supported by the Indian government through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare's Department of Health Research.
- ICMR is supported & fully funded by the Indian government.
- It is administered by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare's Department of Health Services (DHS) (MoH&FW).
- The ICMR's headquarters are in New Delhi.
- It is neither a regulatory nor a statutory entity.
- India's Clinical Trials Registry is hosted by the ICMR (CTRI). It was founded on July 20, 2007.
- It is a free, online public record system that allows clinical trials in India to be registered.
- The clinical trial registry was voluntary until the 15th of June 2009, when the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) made trial registration at CTRI mandatory.
- Importance – It encourages clinical studies to be registered before the first person is enrolled.
- Since 1913, it has published the Indian Journal of Medical Research (IJMR).
- The National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) was founded in 1918 as the 'Beri Beri Enquiry' at the Pasteur Institute in Coonoor, Tamil Nadu.
- Sir Robert McCarrison founded the 'Beri Beri' investigation unit, which is today known as NIN.
- The governing body of the ICMR is presided over by India's Union Health Minister.
- The Director-General of the ICMR is Prof. Balram Bhargava, the Secretary of the DHS.
- The ICMR is made up of 27 institutes/regional medical research centers. The following table contains a list of ICMR institutes:
- Source à The Hindu à 25/12/21 à Page Number 1
Tags : Union Health Ministry, National Institute of Nutrition