Title : DAY-NRLM MISSION
Date : Dec 28, 2021
Based on a News Article published in the ‘The Press Information Bureau’ on 27th December 2021
Useful for UPSC CSE Prelims and Mains (GS Paper II)
- A total of 152 Centres for Financial Literacy and Service Delivery (SAKSHAM Centres) were recently opened throughout 77 districts in 13 states as part of the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The centers were established as part of the Ministry of Rural Development's Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM).
About SAKSHAM Centres:
- The Centre for Financial Literacy and Service Delivery (CFL&SD) would serve as a one-stop shop/single window for the fundamental financial needs of rural Self-Help Groups (SHGs) households.
- Goal: To increase financial awareness among SHG members and the rural poor, as well as to make financial services (savings, credit, insurance, and pensions) more accessible.
- SHG network, primarily at the Cluster Level Federations (CLFs) level, with the assistance of trained Community Resource Persons (CRPs).
Application of SAKSHAM Centres:
- "SAKSHAM," a mobile and web-based application, has also been developed.
- It will be utilized by the Centre's community resource person to determine the penetration of various financial services in each SHG and village, identify key gaps, and provide training and financial services as needed.
About the National Rural Livelihood Mission-Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana:
- It is a centrally sponsored program that was introduced in June 2011 by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- Aim: To eradicate rural poverty by promoting diverse livelihoods and improving rural poor households' access to financial services across the country.
- Working with community institutions through community professionals in the spirit of self-help is a unique DAY-NRLM proposal.
- It affects livelihoods through universal social mobilization, which includes organizing one woman from each rural poor household into Self Help Groups (SHGs), providing training and capacity building, facilitating micro-livelihoods plans, and allowing them to implement their livelihoods plans using financial resources from their own institutions and banks.
- Implementation: It is carried out in a Mission mode by special purpose vehicles (autonomous state societies) with dedicated implementation support units at the national, state, district, and block levels, employing professional human resources to provide long-term handholding support to each rural poor family.
- MKSP: The Mahila Kisan Shashaktikaran Pariyojana has been implemented by the Mission to promote agro-ecological methods that boost women farmers' income and lower their input costs and risks (MKSP).
- DAY-NRLM is executing the Start-Up Village Entrepreneurship Program (SVEP) and the Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana as part of its non-farm livelihoods strategy (AGEY).
- SVEP intends to assist rural entrepreneurs in establishing local businesses.
- AGEY was founded in August 2017 with the goal of connecting remote rural villages with safe, cheap, and community-monitored rural transportation services.
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDUGKY): The Deendayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDUGKY) aims to improve rural youth's placement-related abilities and place them in higher-wage sectors of the economy.
- Rural Self Employment Institutes (RSETIs): The Mission, in collaboration with 31 banks and state governments, is helping RSETIs to prepare rural youth for meaningful self-employment.
- Today, ten years after the NRLM's inception, India has the world's largest network of women's SHGs. In India, there are 6.9 million SHGs with 75 million members spread among 7,83,389 villages as of May 2021.
- Through the use of SHGs, the Mission has been able to significantly improve the last-mile delivery of financial services.
- Rural families have been able to negotiate for better access to key services like education and healthcare thanks to the NRLM. Food security, improved school enrolment, access to land for women to cultivate food, and gender issues like as dowry, child marriage, and discrimination against girls have all benefited from it.
Tags : SHG, Deendayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana