Title : SMILE SCHEME
Date : Jan 01, 2022
Topic à Government Policies and interventions for the vulnerable section of the population
- This program for Support for Marginalized Individuals was developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- "Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise" is the acronym for "Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise."
- The scheme focuses on rehabilitation, medical care, counseling, basic paperwork, education, skill development, and economic relations, among other things.
- The 'Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of Persons Engaged in the Act of Begging' is one of the sub-schemes.
- State/UT governments/Local Urban Bodies, Voluntary Organizations, Community Based Organizations (CBOs), institutions, and others will all help to implement the system.
- According to the 2011 Census, India's total number of beggars is 4,13,670 (including 2,21,673 males and 1,91,997 females), up from the previous census.
- West Bengal is at the top of the list, followed by Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, which are ranked second and third, respectively. According to the 2011 census, Lakshadweep has only two vagrants.
- New Delhi has the most beggars (2187) among the union territories, followed by Chandigarh with 121.
- Asam topped the list of north eastern states with 22,116 beggars, while Mizoram came in last with 53.
- Source à The Hindu à 31/12/21 à Page Number 8
Tags : Marginalized Individuals , Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment