Prepare IAS Coaching
Title : GANGA SAGAR MELA
Date : Jan 01, 2022
Topic à Indian Culture
- About the Ganga Sagar Mela:
- The Ganga Sagar Mela, one of the country's largest religious celebrations, which attracts tens of thousands of pilgrims, is getting a makeover this year.
- The West Bengal government has taken many steps to ensure that pilgrims have easy access to amenities such as cleanliness, police and administrative assistance, and transportation information.
- The district administration would give different facilities, like as bathrooms, to pilgrims attending the annual fair on Sagar Island, one of the cluster of islands in the South 24 Parganas district.
- This year, the state government intends to designate the Ganga Sagar Mela as a Green Mela. The six-day fair will begin soon.
- The Ganga Sagar Mela is an annual event that takes place in Ganga Sagar, India.
- It takes place on the Ganga Sagar Island, at the mouth of the Hooghly River in Bengal, every year in the months of January and February.
- Every year, hundreds of pilgrims flock to the site. During the Gangasagar Mela, a dip in the river at this location is regarded exceedingly sacred.
- The bath is considered to become a divine source of salvation on Makar Sankranti (January 14), when the sun transitions from Sagittarius to Capricorn.
- Source à The Hindu à 31/12/21 à Page Number 1
Tags : Hooghly River, west bengal