Title : SPECIAL PROTECTION GROUP ( SPG)
Date : Jan 07, 2022
Topic à Internal Security related issues
- Last year, the Special Protection Group (Amendment) Bill, 2019, was recently passed by Parliament. The 1988 SPG Act will be amended by the SPG Bill.
- The proposed revisions to the Special Protection Group (SPG) Bill are intended to lower the state's financial burden of VIP protection.
- The diminution in SPG coverage will also help to dispel the perception that it is a status symbol.
- In 1985, the SPG was formed to provide security for the Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers, and their immediate families.
- Personnel from the CRPF, Border Security Force, and other Central and State forces make up the SPG.
- Reduced SPG Coverage: The Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers, and their immediate family members will be protected if they live with him in his official house.
- The Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers, and their immediate family members are currently covered by security.
- After the past Prime Ministers and their immediate families leave office, protection will be provided for only five years.
- However, the former Prime Minister's immediate family must live with him in the designated property.
- Withdrawal: When a previous Prime Minister's proximate security is revoked, proximate security is likewise revoked for members of his immediate family.
- Source à The Hindu à 07/01/22 à Page Number 9
Tags : Prime Minister, CRPF, Border Security Force