Prepare IAS Coaching
Title : BRAHMOS MISSILE: Prelims Specific Topic
Date : Jan 17, 2022
- The BRAHMOS supersonic cruise missile has successfully tested its propulsion system, airframe, power supply, and other main indigenous components.
- BRAHMOS is a cooperative venture between India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia's National Propulsion Organization (NPOM).
- The rivers Brahmaputra and Moskva are named Brahmos.
- It's a two-stage air-to-surface missile with a range of roughly 300 kilometers (solid propellant engine in first stage, liquid ramjet in second).
- However, India's entrance into the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) has increased the BRAHMOS missile's range to 450-600 kilometers, a little increase above the present MTCR-capped range of 300 kilometers.
- With a weight of 2.5 tonnes, Brahmos is the largest weapon ever deployed aboard a Su-30 MKI fighter plane.
- Brahmos is a multiplatform, multi-capability missile that can be launched from land, air, and sea. It has pinpoint accuracy and can be used at any time of day or night, regardless of weather conditions.
- It works on the "Fire and Forgets" principle, which means it doesn't need any additional instructions after it's launched.
- Brahmos is one of the fastest cruise missiles in service today, with a top speed of Mach 2.8, or three times the speed of sound.
Tags : brahmputra, moskva, DRDO