Prepare IAS Coaching
Title : KONYAK NAGAS: Prelims Specific Topic
Date : Jan 18, 2022
- With a population of around 3 lakh, the Konyaks' territory extends into Arunachal Pradesh, with a sizable presence in Myanmar.
- They are reputed to be one of Nagaland's most ferocious warrior tribes.
- As late as the 1980s, the Konyaks were the last to abandon the practise of head-hunting, which involved severing the heads of foes after attacking other tribes.
- Importance of this tribe in the Naga Peace Process:
- Mon is the only district in Nagaland where the separatist group has been unable to establish a base camp, owing to Konyak resistance.
- As a result, the Konyaks are critical to the successful conclusion of the peace talks as well as the state's post-talk peace process.
Tags : tribal population, nagaland