Prepare IAS Coaching
Title : PROCESS OF RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP
Date : Jan 25, 2022
Topic à Citizenship related issues:
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had recently simplified the process for Indians who want to renounce their citizenship
- Provisions have been made for applicants to upload documents online, with an upper limit of 60 days for the renunciation process to be completed.
- In India, Articles 5 – 11 of the Constitution deals with the concept of citizenship. The term citizenship entails the enjoyment of full membership of any State in which a citizen has civil and political rights.
- Termination of citizenship is possible in three ways according to the Citizenship Act, 1955.
- Renunciation: If any citizen of India who is also a national of another country renounces his Indian citizenship through a declaration in the prescribed manner, he ceases to be an Indian citizen.
- Termination: Indian citizenship can be terminated if a citizen knowingly or voluntarily adopts the citizenship of any foreign country.
- Deprivation: The government of India can deprive a person of his citizenship in some cases. It is applicable only in the case of citizens who have acquired the citizenship by registration, naturalization, or only by Article 5 (c)
- Source – The Indian Express
Tags : paasport, government of India