Title : AK 203 Deal with Russia: Prelims Specific Topic
Date : Nov 24, 2021
- This agreement was reached as part of a significant modernization drive for the infantry.
- As part of this transaction, the Indian Army would receive a number of AK-103 assault rifles from Russia.
- The arrangement was negotiated under emergency procurement or emergency financial powers granted to the three services in order for them to make vital acquisitions.
- The Indian army requires 770,000 AK-47 203 rifles.
- The first 100,000 will be imported, with the rest being made in India.
- In 2017, the Indian Army launched a four-year process to acquire approximately seven lakh rifles, 44600 carbines, and 44,000 light machine guns. India and Russia announced a massive agreement in September 2020 to manufacture AK-47 203 rifles in India.
- Make a modernisation plan:
- As part of a modernization drive to replace ageing and outmoded weapons, the Indian army is procuring a considerable quantity of light machine guns, battle carbines, and assault rifles.
- The following are some of the deal's highlights:
- This gun will be manufactured by the Indo-Russia Rifles Private Limited joint venture (IRRPL).
- A single rifle will cost roughly USD 1100, including the expense of setting up a production plant and transferring technologies.
- Information on the AK-47 203 Rifles:
- It's a modernised AK-103 variant from the 200 series, and it's the most latest and technologically advanced version of the AK-47 rifle.
- The 5.5645 mm assault rifle used by the Indian Small Arms System (INSAS) since 1996 will be replaced with this rifle.
Source à https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/dac-clears-ak-203-Russia-deal/article37652359.ece
Tags : defense, Indian Small Arms System (INSAS)